- SpaceCurve is hiring! The company is announcing tremendous growth in the Seattle area, and might be a good one for you to approach for jobs and internships!
- I attended a meeting of the Puget Sound Career Development Association on November 1st where we focused specifically on job search strategies for transitioning military personnel and veterans. If you are or were attached to a service branch in the military, there are lots of ways I can support you! Stop by or make an appointment to come see me!
- TedX Rainier is coming up on November 10th! This is a great networking event! Discount entry for students.
Navigating Multiple Offers
Question: What do I do if I have an offer from an okay company that is my second choice, but I’m still waiting to see if I’ll get an offer from my dream company?
1. First of all, avoid backing out on an offer you have already committed to. This creates an inconvenience for the employer involved, and can negatively impact your reputation with that employer and could burn bridges. If you aren’t sure you want a position, then decline your offer. Be sure before you accept something.
2. Next, if you’re still considering the first offer, ask for time to evaluate the offer from the employer. Two weeks is a minimum standard, and asking for a month is not unreasonable if the positions are being hired months in advance. Let them know you very much appreciate the offer, and are excited about the opportunity, and want to take some time to make sure you’re making the right decision. Be proactive, positive, and very professional in your response.
3. If you’re waiting for a second offer, check in with the hiring manager or recruiter at the second company about the status of your application. Ask for information on the expected timeline for offers, whether it might be possible in an extenuating circumstance to have your application evaluated on a slightly accelerated timeline, and you could let them know that you’ve been extended an offer from someone else but that this company is your first choice. Ask questions like “can I provide any additional information at this point that might help you evaluate my candidacy for the position?” or “are there any areas in my experience or application that you think need additional support and might be able to move my application along?”.
4. You can minimize this kind of situation by being strategic about how you manage your applications. Focus your energy on your “dream” position until you get a sense that it might not work out, and THEN complete applications for your second choice companies. Unless your dream employer is an extremely late recruiter, you will likely still have time to complete applications and do your networking with other options. Let your dream recruiter know your preference is to work for them, and be proactive in engaging with them. Focus on networking with your dream employer first, and do your backup applications after you’ve already moved through the dream employer’s process, and you’ll avoid the dilemma of timing offers.
And you can always talk through your specific situation with me if you need help! Above all, be professional and communicative, and maintain positive relationships wherever possible.
Mon., November 5 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm
Mon., November 5 | 5:30 – 7:30 pm
Tue., November 6 | 3 – 4 pm
Tue., November 6 | 6 – 7 pm
Wed., November 7 | 12:30 – 1:30 pm – MGH 420
Employer Information Session: State Library National Digital Newspaper Program
Wed., November 7 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm
Wed., November 7 | 5:30 – 7 pm
Highlighted Professional Jobs
Web Developer (iCareers #227)
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
Library Assistant / Office Worker (iCareers #106)
Application Support Analyst (iCareers #104)
University of Iowa Libraries
Learning Commons Coordinator (iCareers #105)
Senior Services of Snohomish County
Quality Control Analyst (HuskyJobs #65686)
IT Support Analyst (HuskyJobs #65658)
Green River Community College
Highlighted Student Jobs
Library Intern (iCareers #226)
D.E. Shaw Group
Quantitative Analyst Summer Intern (HuskyJobs #65787)
Washington State Library
National Digital Newspaper Program Assistant (iCareers #34)
Adecco Engineering & Technical
Part Time Social Media / Web Intern (HuskyJobs 65737)
User Experience Design Intern (HuskyJobs #65388)