- Career Advising drop-in hour takes place on Tuesday, Nov 20th this week, in MGH 224, due to the Thanksgiving holiday.
How to follow up
I get a lot of questions about how to follow up after an interview or after meeting a recruiter at an information session or career fair. There are several principles you can keep in mind that will help you craft a great follow-up note after an interaction with someone you want to hire you.
1. Say thank you. After you are interviewed or meet with a professional for an informational interview or long conversation, write an email to say thank you. It can be brief. Say thank you for the opportunity to talk with the person, reference an aspect of the conversation you found especially informative or helpful or interesting.
2. Ask a question. Ask something that might keep the conversation going, or that will give you more helpful information. Ask about next steps in the process, if there are any others at the company that you might expect to hear from or might be able to connect with to learn more, or ask if there are any resources the person can point you to that might be helpful in your continued career development or exploration.
3. Ask to connect on LinkedIn. Ask the person if you can connect with them on LinkedIn, and then send them a personalized invitation through LinkedIn to be part of your network. You can post updates on your LinkedIn profile that they will then see.
4. Check in periodically. In following up after an interview, if it’s been a few weeks and you’ve heard nothing, it’s ok to send a brief message to say hello and ask how the hiring process is going. If you’re following up after an informational interview, aim for a periodic check-in about once a quarter to say hello and ask a question or provide information to the person about a topic of conversation that they might find interesting.
Career Events this week
Tue., November 20 | 3 – 4 pm – MGH 224
Career Advising Drop In hour
Tue., November 20 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm
Mon., November 26 | 3:30 – 4:30 pm
Tue., November 27 | 3 – 4 pm
Highlighted Professional Jobs
Web Analytics Manager (contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information)
National Public Radio – Storycorps
Storycorps Coordinator, Archive
Contact email@example.com for more information and to apply
State of Washington Attorney General’s Office
Highlighted Student Jobs
Puyallup Public Library
Bellevue College Life Science Informatics Center
Compliance Reviewer (part time)
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
UW – Admissions
UW – Information Technology