Fall 2013 Scholarship Workshops
Freshman Scholarship 101 – Getting Started in the Search for Scholarships:
Specifically designed for freshmen or first-quarter sophomores, this introductory workshop provides students with information to begin the scholarship search and to develop a competitive edge for merit-based scholarships.
- Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- Tuesday, Oct. 29, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, 4:30-5:20, MGH 171
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/244, though drop-ins are also welcome.
Scholarship 201 for Continuing Students – The Search for Undergraduate Scholarships & Graduate Fellowships:
This workshop provides assistance to continuing students looking to fund undergraduate academic years and graduate school. This will include information on discipline specific scholarships, campus funding opportunities, scholarship search sites, and tips to develop competitive applications.
- Tues., Oct. 22, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- Tues., Nov. 5, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- Thurs., Nov. 21, 2013, 4:30-5:20, MGH 171
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/245, though drop-ins are also welcome.
Personal Statement Writing:
The Personal Statement is an important part of an application package. Applying for scholarships, internships, and graduate/professional programs often requires a personal statement or application letter. This type of writing requires you to outline your strengths confidently and concisely, which can be challenging. Personal Statement workshops will provide students with essential information to develop an understanding of not only writing about their interests, eligibility and suitability for applications, but also to learn how their statements provide evidence of their achievements that aren’t reflected in other parts of an application.
- Thursday, Oct. 18, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- Tuesday, Oct. 24, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- Monday, Nov. 4, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/236, though drop-ins are also welcome.
Curriculum Vitae or Scholarship/Fellowship Resume Writing:
Develop your undergraduate CV/Resume for use in scholarship, fellowship, research opportunities, and graduate school applications! A Curriculum Vitae (“CV” or “vitae”) is a comprehensive, biographical statement emphasizing your professional qualifications and activities. A CV is similar to a resume, but an advantage to the CV format is the significant freedom to choose the headings and categories for your information and the strength reflected in their arrangement. In this workshop you will have the opportunity to work with Office of Merit Scholarships, Fellowships & Awards staff to develop and strengthen a draft of your CV.
- Monday, Oct. 28, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/237, though drop-ins are also welcome.
Getting Great Letters of Recommendation:
This workshop will help you plan ahead for developing strong relationships with faculty and other mentors, asking for letters of recommendation, and preparing your recommenders to write you stellar letters.
- Thursday, Oct. 17, 2013, 2:30-3:20, MGH 171
- Thursday, Nov. 14, 2013, 3:30-4:20, MGH 171
- Wednesday, Nov. 20, 2013, 1:30-2:20, MGH 171
- RSVP to attend at https://expo.uw.edu/expo/rsvp/event/289, though drop-ins are also welcome.