Use Twitter for your job search
One of the best job search and career development resources I use is Twitter, and I believe it is a bit of an unsung hero in a typical job search and career development strategy. If you haven’t started using Twitter yet, consider adding this tool to your job search arsenal! here are just some of the ways that Twitter can help you with your job or internship search:
1. Follow employers for listings. Many employers have a twitter job feed, or post their open positions via their corporate/organizational twitter accounts. Search for and follow companies of interest so that you can stay on top of what becomes available!
2. Learn about company news. Twitter is a great way to get familiar with a company’s brand, with news items or company information that might be useful to you when you interview or network with people at the company. Follow organizations or companies of interest to stay on top of their latest news.
3. Network with professionals. Follow influential people in your industry on Twitter (search by keywords or watch for RT’s and mentions in other tweets) to help make your name familiar to them, and even carry on a conversation via twitter. it’s a great way to get familiar with names and do some introductory networking.
4. Build your brand. Tweet relevant links, news items, or useful infomration to build your brand as a knowledgeable professional in the field. People will begin to follow you and you’ll emerge as a leader in the field, and others will begin to seek you out for networking opportunity as well.
5. Career advice. There are a TON of resources shared through twitter about resumes, networking, library job search, tech job search, how to be successful at internships, and more, all shared through Twitter. It is a great way to get career advice that can help you be successful, start by searching for your industry plus the word “career” to find folks posting useful advice.
Twitter is just one way that you can boost your job and internship search as well as your professional brand, but it’s an easy way to put forth some additional effort in your search for the perfect job and internship opportunity. Questions? Just schedule an appointment to visit with me!
Career-Related Events This Week
Wednesday, January 22 | 3:30 – 4:00 pm | MGH 134
Wednesday, January 22 | 4:30 – 6:30 pm | HUB 145
Thursday, January 23 | 3:30 – 4:00pm | MGH 134
Thursday, January 23 | 4:00 – 5:30pm | KNE 210
Thursday, January 23 | 5:30 – 7:00pm | KNE
Friday, January 24 | 1:30 – 2:30pm | MGH 134
Monday, January 27 | 12:30 – 1:30pm | MGH 420
Tuesday, January 21 | 6:00pm
Wednesday, January 22 | 10:00 – 11:30 am
Wednesday, January 22 | 6:00 – 8:00 pm
Thursday, January 23 | 5:30 – 6:30pm
Thursday, January 23 | 6:00 – 9:00pm
Thursday, January 23 | 4:30 – 6:30pm
Friday, January 24 | 11:30am – 2:00pm
Highlighted Student Jobs and Internships
*Data Scientist Intern
IT Help Desk – Student Hourly Position
*Apply Now Through iCareers!
Highlighted Professional Jobs
*Hiring Recent Graduates (OPT/CPT), For Jr.Net Developers in WA
*Public Services librarian – Part Time
*Gift Services Analyst/Programmer
*Apply Now Through iCareers!