May 29, 2014 Career Newsletter
A Reminder About Your “Elevator Pitch”
As you go into summer and get ready to start internships, attend conferences, or go on vacation, don’t forget about having a great elevator pitch. You might be boarding an airplane, meeting new people at the start of your internship, in line at a coffee shop, or at a conference and someone will ask you about yourself. You never know who you are going to meet or where you are going to meet them so in these situations it pays to be prepared with a good self-introduction.
This is something I talk a lot about because it’s really important to be ready to introduce yourself with valuable professional information in just about any situation. First, gauge the timeline of your situation. If you’re standing in a fast-moving line you might only have a few seconds, but at a conference you could have much more time. A basic self-introduction should be about 30 seconds or less.
Next, you should ask yourself these questions:
– Who am I?
– What do I offer?
– What are my skills and passions?
– What problem can I solve?
– Am I looking for something? A business contact, a job or internship, more information about my field?
Think about and write out concise answers to these questions and time your pitch so it is anywhere from 15-30 seconds (90 words might be a good target).
If you are a freelancer or startup and are talking to a potential client, focus on how you help your audience with a specific problem. Ask about what problems they face and offer how your business can be of service. Be careful about using a clever play on words or taglines because they may not always come off how you intend. Here are some examples of elevator pitches:
– Busniess Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fGzh0XcdCc
Finally, always carry a business card. You never know who you’re going to meet or when you’re going to meet them, and having easily-exchangeable contact information is key. Always be prepared to introduce yourself!
Career-Related Events This Week
Thursday, May 29 | 3:00 – 4:00 pm | MGH 134
Resume & Cover Letters
Friday, May 30 | 1:30 – 2:30 pm | MGH 134
Highlighted Student Jobs and Internships
- HTC – Product Management Intern
- Raymond James Financial – Intern – Enterprise Data Management (Summer)
- Elephant Auto Insurance – Website Design Internship
- Amazon Corporate LLC – UX Design Internship
- Bond International Software, Inc – Quality Assurance Intern
- OCLC – Diversity Internship – 1 Year Program (Research)
- JBS International, Inc – Librarian Intern
- Holland America line – Web Applications
Highlighted Professional Jobs
- GE Healthcare – Senior Product Manager- Software, Clinical Content
- AACOM – Program Manager
- DEG – Frontend Developer
- Fisher Investments – Web Optimization Specialist
- The Chronicle of Higher Education Sub – Emerging Technologies Librarian
- Willamette University – Reference & Instructional Services Librarian
- NorthWest Arkansas Community College – Assistant Librarian, Systems Librarian
- North Carolina State University Libraries – Head, IT and Associate Head, Academic Technology
- *Columbia University – Research Support and Data Services Librarian
- *CampusPoint – Search Vocab Specialist
- *MarketShare – Application Support Engineer
*Apply Now Through iCareers!