The HistoryMakers is pleased to announce The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellowship, in honor of James A. Lindner, for his leadership role in the moving image archival profession, as well as his role in having the Library of Congress serve as the permanent repository for The HistoryMakers Collection. The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow should exhibit a passion and commitment to working with digital moving image archives.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Friday, April 10, 2015
FELLOWSHIP DURATION: 10 weeks – (Monday, June 1, 2015 – Friday, August 7, 2015)
The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow’s primary tasks will include the arrangement, description and preservation of The HistoryMakers Collection. The Fellow will help migrate digital footage, enter metadata into The HistoryMakers FileMaker Pro database, and process The HistoryMakers video oral history interviews, both analog and born-digital, as well as captioning photographs and multimedia submissions. The Fellow will gain valuable experience working with The HistoryMakers unique Digital Archive and creating finding aids. The Fellow’s duties will also include assisting in digital curation and preparing descriptive, technical, and other metadata. The Fellow will learn about employing best practices to ensure the long-term availability and discoverability of the digital content in The HistoryMakers Collection. The Fellow will work with FileMaker Pro as an electronic resource for tracking and indexing collection materials online or through other media. This includes managing the care and handling of born-digital and analog collection materials yet to be digitized.
The requirements for consideration are:
1. Citizen or permanent resident of the United States.
2. Recent graduate (within six months) of a master’s program in archival science, archival management, digital archives, special collections, library science, information management, computer science, or a related program.
3. Demonstrated interest in oral history interviews, archive administration and management. This interest can be demonstrated through academic coursework, volunteer or work experience, or through a personal statement in application essay.
4. Demonstrated interest in African American history. This interest can be demonstrated through academic coursework, volunteer or work experience, or through a personal statement in application essay.
5. GPA of 3.50 or higher
Lodging arrangements are the responsibility of the fellow. Applicants will be provided with information on local housing options upon acceptance as The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellow.
Submit the following for consideration:
1. Cover letter stating your interest in the fellowship and your future career goals (please include an email address and a daytime telephone number).
2. Essay or written statement (750 – 1,000 words) addressing one or all of the following:
* what attracts you to The HistoryMakers archives (especially the Digital Archive) and/or the moving image profession;
* your interest in African American history and/or oral history interviews; and/or,
* the importance of this fellowship to your future career.
3. Resume or CV indicating your academic background, work experience, and volunteer service.
4. Undergraduate and graduate transcript. Also include a printout of classes in which you are currently enrolled, if applicable.
5. Three letters of recommendation.
Submit application material to:
The James A. Lindner Digital Archive Summer Fellowship
1900 S Michigan Ave
Chicago, IL 60616
For further information contact The HistoryMakers at: email@example.com.