Who is Hiring?
One of the questions we get a lot is “who is hiring us?” or “can you tell me where to look to find a job?”. There are lots of ways to answer this question, and some great resources that you can use to help you find companies that might want to work with you. Here are a few creative ideas that differ from solely searching for job/internship titles on job boards:
There are so many different position titles coming out that describe the same type of role you may be looking for. Rather than simply screening out an opportunity purely by its title, read through the job description. Some employers go with the simplistic approach so that they can use one job posting to recruit for a variety of different opening. After reading through a posting for an “IT Analyst,” I could see the employer was open to placing people in software development, project management, systems administration, information security, and more.
iSchool and Career Center Events/Calendar Pages. All of our Career-related workshops and employer focused events get posted to the iSchool events page. You can also find additional information on our events under the “Workshops” section within iCareers. Similarly, the UW Career Center has a student calendar page with additional information on employer focused events in HuskyJobs under “InfoSessions.”
Linkedin Alumni Tool. Probably my favorite feature within Linkedin, this tool allows you to search and sort through UW Alumni profiles. It’s great for researching which employers have hired students from the iSchool and where iSchool grads end up working 5-10 years down the road. Besides research, you can also use this tool to increase your network. See an iSchool alumn that is working at a company you are interested in? Shoot them a connection with a personalized message asking if they would be open to an informational interview. Here’s a short video which shows how this feature works.
iCareers Employer Directory. Did you know that iCareers has a giant list of all the employers who post in it, and you can view this list? Log in to iCareers, click on “employers” and then “employer directory”. You’ll be able to see hundreds of employers who have currently or previously listed jobs, internships, or capstones with the iSchool, and you can use this list to start your networking or do further research on company sites to see if they have any open positions that you should apply for.
Remember, these lists are just a start, you can generate your own employer connections too! There are new companies being formed all the time, and new companies seeking students and grads to do great jobs. Find even more employer connections by attending networking events, meetups, career fairs, and professional association meetings or conferences.
- Project Manager, Gallup, iCareers ID #4171
- Assistant Store Manager, Amazone Bookstore, iCareers ID#4166
- Catalog Specialist, Amazon Digital Music, iCareers ID#4167
- Metadata Librarian, National Geographic Society, iCareers ID#4154
- School Librarian, St. Louise School, iCareers ID#4137
- UW Web Design Instructor, Upward Bound, iCareers ID #4134
- Business Analytics Intern, Kaiser Permanente, iCareers ID #4134
- Internships (IT and Philanthropy), Vulcan, iCareers ID #4109
- 2/24, Digital Portfolios, 3:30-4:00, MGH 134 (Career Center)
- 2/25: Employer Session – CAA, 12:30-1:20, HUB 337
- 2/25: Employer Session – CrowdStrike, 5:30-7:30, MGH 134 (Career Center)
- 2/26: Business Intelligence Panel, 11:00-1:00, OUGL 220
- 3/1: Meetup- Job Related Experience for Int’l Students, 12:30-1:30, MGH Commons (Career Center)