ARL/SAA Mosaic II Call for Fellowship Applications
Deadline February 28, 2019 at 11:59 PM EST
The Association of Research Libraries (ARL)/Society of American Archivists (SAA) Mosaic Program II is now accepting applications for the 2019–2021 cohort. The program promotes diversification of the archives and special collections professional workforce by supporting master of library and information science (MLIS) students from traditionally underrepresented racial and ethnic groups who are concentrating on archives or special collections librarianship.
Components of the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program II include financial support for MLIS education, a robust internship experience, mentoring, career placement assistance, and leadership development. This second iteration of the program also offers additional funding to support professional development emphasizing digital curation and management skills. The program seeks to attract individuals who demonstrate excellent potential for scholastic and personal achievement, and who manifest a commitment both to the archives and special collections profession and to advancing diversity concerns within it.
The ARL/SAA Mosaic Program II offers a generous compensation package for each program participant consisting of:
- Tuition stipend of up to $10,000 distributed in four equal installments of $2,500 per semester or quarter
- Paid yearlong internship in a partner archives or library organization beginning in fall 2019
- Participation in select Digital Archives Specialist (DAS) trainings
- Mentoring from an archives professional or special collections librarian
- Financial assistance of up to $1,000 for relocation to the area of the MLIS program that the participant will attend
- Student membership in SAA for two years
- Support for travel to and participation in the ARL Annual Leadership Symposium, held during the American Library Association Midwinter Meeting in January 2020
- Support for travel to and participation in the annual ARL/SAA Mosaic Leadership Forum and SAA Annual Meeting in summer 2020
To be eligible for the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program II, you must:
- Identify as being from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group, based on the categories outlined by the US Census Bureau or Statistics Canada or Aboriginal (First Nations, Métis, and Inuit) people classifications
- Be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada
- Be accepted into a master’s program in archival science, archival management, digital archives, special collections, or a related program
- Remain enrolled in at least six graduate credit hours per term through completion of the designated graduate program(s) and have at least one full academic year remaining in studies
- Maintain a 3.0 grade point average (on a 4-point scale) each term and submit transcripts as evidence of progression towards completion of graduate studies in the targeted areas
More Information & Application
For additional information about the program and to apply, please visit the ARL/SAA Mosaic Program webpage. The completed online application form and attachments as well as both letters of recommendation should be submitted to ARL by 11:59 p.m. eastern standard time (EST) on Thursday, February 28, 2019.
The ARL/SAA Mosaic Program is funded by the Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) as well as ARL member libraries and SAA.