ALA Diversity Research Grant Program
Deadline: Proposals due by April 15, 2019 at midnight, PDT.
The American Library Association (ALA) Office for Diversity, Literacy and Outreach Services seeks proposals for the Diversity Research Grant program. Applications may address any diversity-related topic which addresses critical gaps in the knowledge of diversity, equity and outreach issues within library and information science. Proposals are due by midnight Pacific time on April 15, 2019.
The Diversity Research Grant consists of a one-time $2,500 award for original research. A jury of ALA members will evaluate proposals and select up to three awards. Grant recipients will be announced ahead of the 2019 ALA Annual Conference. Researchers are invited to present interim findings at the News You Can Use Diversity Research Grant Update held each ALA Midwinter Meeting and are asked to publish findings in a publication of their choosing within one year of completing their project.
Proposals are currently being accepted for one year research projects that will be undertaken July 1, 2019 to June 30, 2020. Grants should not be sought for work leading toward the completion of a degree, thesis or dissertation.
A complete proposal must include the following:
- A cover letter with name, primary contact information, and ALA member ID of the researcher(s).
- A concise abstract of the project (no more than 200 words).
- Description of the project (of no more than 5 pages in length) detailing:
- Justification and needs for the research project.
- Research objectives.
- Design, methodology and analysis of the project
- Expected outcomes and benefits
- Proposed budget and timeline (no more than 2 pages), including other sources of support sought for the project. Download the budget and timeline worksheet template (doc). Staff training, general operating or overhead expenses, and other indirect costs are not funded and should not be included in the budget request.
- A one-page vita for each of the researchers involved in the project.
For examples of past projects and a complete list of criteria and proposal instructions, please visit: www.ala.org/research/larks/diversity.
For more information or to inquire about possible research topics, please email email@example.com or call (800) 545-2433 ext. 5048.