Friends of the Libraries, Kona (F.O.L.K.) 2019 M.L.I.S. Scholarship Available
Deadline: Complete applications with all required materials are due by April 30, 2019
Friends of the Libraries, Kona is offering up to $6,000 in scholarships to students pursuing a Masters in Library and Information Sciences at the University of Hawai`i, or any online American Library Association accredited master’s degree program.
- Must be resident of the State of Hawai`i. Preference given to Hawaii Island residents.
- Be enrolled in an American Library Association accredited on-line library and information science program or the University of Hawaii Master’s of Library and Information Science program or accepted for the fall semester.
- Completed Friends of the Library, Kona (F.O.L.K.) scholarship application form
- Personal letter describing your objectives and clearly establishing your reasons for pursuing a library career. Include any information you feel would be helpful to the Committee in considering your need for scholarship assistance. (A personal letter must be attached to application form)
- College transcript
- Signed Scholarship Policy Statement
- Two letters of recommendation from persons other than family members who know you well and can comment on your character, ability, and potential success in librarianship. Please have the letters sent directly to Friends of the Libraries, Kona Scholarship Committee, Kailua-Kona Public Library, 75-138 Hualalai Rd., Kailua-Kona, HI 96740.
The Scholarship Committee will review applications in May. Applicants will be contacted by email or by phone if more information is required. Please be sure to include a contact number for the month of May.
The awards will be made on the basis of scholarship, character, and financial need.
The scholarship award recipient will be notified by June 3.
- In the event you are awarded a scholarship:
- A scholarship check will be forwarded to the award recipient upon receipt of a photo suitable for reproduction. Passport type “head shot” at least 2”x 2”. Good quality jpeg photo is preferred. This will be used for publicity purposes.
- The Committee expects the recipients of our scholarships to keep in touch with the Committee by reporting on progress at school and contemplated placement after graduation. The Committee would appreciate the recipient’s attendance at the Friends Annual Meeting held in January if recipient resides on Hawaii Island and the meeting time does not conflict with class attendance.
- If the recipient does not graduate from MLIS degree program within three years after receipt of the scholarship, the entire amount reverts to a loan and must be repaid within two years after last attendance at school.
All information presented will be held in strictest confidence. The scholarship application forms and information are available on the Friends of the Libraries, Kona website at: www.folkhawaii.com or call F.O.L.K. Scholarship Chair, Shirley David at (808) 756-1633.