The Dempsey Startup Competition (Dempsey Startup), organized by the Buerk Center for Entrepreneurship, provides a real-world experience for student entrepreneurs, promoting student ideas and new venture creation to the entrepreneurial community. Participating in the Dempsey Startup gives students practice in the dynamics of venture creation by developing an idea, putting together a founding team, writing a business plan, and presenting to investors. In fact, many ideas that started as a class project turned into a start-up company through the competition process!
The Dempsey Startup is open to undergrads and grad students enrolled in a degree seeking program at an accredited college or university in Washington, Oregon, Idaho or British Columbia. Complete details about the competition can be found online at startup.uw.edu.
Key Dates + Deadlines:
- April 8 – DEADLINE TO ENTER the Dempsey Startup Competition! Teams must submit a 5–7 page executive summary BY 11:59 pm.
- April 11–14 – Screening Round: Judges will review proposals online.
- April 15 – Announcement of the 36 teams that will move forward to the Investment Round!
- April 25 – Deadline for teams to submit a 1-page summary.
- May 1 – Investment Round: Tradeshow-style event at the Husky Union Building at the University of Washington. Announcement of Sweet 16 teams at 6pm.
- May 16 – Coaching Round: Mandatory, non-competitive evening session for Sweet 16 teams. Teams must prepare and submit their Pitch Deck (PowerPoint) to the judge panel.
- May 20 – Deadline for Sweet 16 teams must submit a complete business plan (15-20 pages) and Pitch Deck.
- May 23 – Sweet 16 Round (morning); Final Round (afternoon). Awards Dinner and Ceremony at 6:00 pm at the Bell Harbor Conference Center (Pier 66) in Seattle.