Workshop: UW Libraries Storytelling Fellows
Deadline: Application due by April 26, 2019
Are you a graduate student engaged in academic or professional work that you wish you could communicate to a broader audience? Interested in building your resume while learning how to tell compelling stories about meaningful topics? Curious about what you can do with a podcast?
If YES: the UW Libraries invites you to apply for Storytelling Fellows! This is an innovative, hands-on program designed to highlight the interests and accomplishments of UW graduate students, using digital-storytelling skills and technologies. This totally free, three-week online program will take approximately 10 accepted fellows through the start-to-finish process of envisioning and creating a podcast suitable for an online portfolio, professional presentation, or academic project. Alyssa Deutschler, the subject specialist librarian for the Information School, will be one of the instructors.
Folks who have participated in past Storytelling Fellows programs have created digital stories for the following reasons:
- To make digital streaming content for websites
- To communicate their work either to professional or public audiences
- To learn a creative, emergent form they’ll use in their teaching
- To learn a skill they can highlight on the job market and employ in their careers
- To tell stories that have never been told and never will be unless they do it
- To have pure fun
Storytelling Fellows Course Details:
- The course will run from May 1, 2019 – May 26, 2019.
- There will be three live Sunday sessions hosted via web conference from 7:00pm-8:30pm on May 5th, May 12th, and May 19th. These sessions are mandatory.
- Finishing a 2-5 minute podcast is mandatory.
Take a look at the syllabus for more information.
No previous experience with media-making is necessary.
Really, the only requirement is a desire to be creative, to finish a project of your own design, and to interact with other graduate students across disciplines.
To apply, please fill out this application by April 26th, 2019.