Employment: Chabot-Las Positas Community College District Librarian, Emphasis in User Experience and Technology
Deadline: Applications due by 11:59:59 PM PST on October 7, 2019.
The Chabot-Las Positas Community College District is seeking a Librarian (Emphasis in User Experience and Technology) for Chabot College in Hayward, California.
This position reports directly to the Division Dean.
The Librarian (with emphasis in User Experience and Technology) plays a key role in creating an excellent experience for both physical and virtual users of Chabot Library. The Librarian develops methodologies to measure changing student/faculty needs in library services, technology, and develops implementation plans for innovations that better reflect changing trends in student, faculty and staff needs.
In collaboration with the other Chabot Librarians, recommend options for innovation and engage with other Public Services staff for planning and implementation. The Librarian supports faculty and conducts and reviews all facets of cataloging and the course reserves, including copyright compliance.
- Develops and conducts qualitative and quantitative user needs/usability studies, including surveys, interviews, focus groups, and observations. to assess changing user experiences/needs, preferences, and trends with the goal of continual improvement.
- Creates, compiles, maintains, and utilizes system statistics and reports to evaluate workflows and develop enhancements to circulation, course reserves, reference, and instructional services.
- Coordinates circulation services and front desk activities, including all circulation notices and communications, with the goal of providing excellent customer/user experience.
- Collaborates with other librarians to assess and improve the library’s online and social media presence.
- Communicates and collaborates with library colleagues on user studies.
- Based on user and library staff input, plans and develops innovative projects, services, and programs.
- With Library staff, supports faculty on providing excellent library course reserves and other related services, including review and implementation of technology and procedural upgrades.
- Troubleshoots, upgrades, evaluates and manipulates the Library System Platform (LSP) to optimize functionality.
- Performs original and copy cataloging of all formats of library materials to facilitate their identification, access, and use.
- Interprets and apply Library of Congress subject headings, the AACR2, RDA, and the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC) manuals in cataloging and classifying library materials
- Provides reference, instruction, and technology support to library patrons.
- Provides individual and group training to library staff.
- Participates in campus and district professional activities, which may include but are not limited to, committee membership, staff development, and collegial meetings.
- Continues to keep current with Library user interface trends and innovations.
- Has strong oral and written communication skills to be able to convey/explain information and train staff.
- Demonstrates sensitivity to, and understanding of, the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, including those with physical or learning disabilities.
- Regularly scheduled hours could include evenings.
For more information and to apply, please visit the job posting.