WELCOME FROM iSCHOOL CAREER SERVICES
Welcome to first iSchool Career Newsletter for the 2019-20 academic year! This is a weekly communication to keep you informed on career related events across campus, tips for your job search, and highlight job and internships opportunities posted in iCareers and Handshake.
Fall quarter is a busy time for corporate recruiting, particularly for Consulting and specific Tech companies. Starting with the first day of the academic year, companies will be visiting campus, hosting information sessions, and reaching out to UW students encouraging them to apply for internships and full-time jobs.
This can be overwhelming for students – especially new students trying to settle into a new program, a new school, a new city and even a new country. Keep in mind, that while there is a flurry of job activity in October, this is NOT your only opportunity to find a summer internship or start your post degree job search. And for some, the positions better suited to your interests may not be posted until winter or spring quarters.
In August, we had transitions in all of the iSchool Career Team. We are still in the process of hiring new Career Advisers. That doesn’t mean there aren’t career services for you to access. The iSchool still has a full slate of workshops and corporate visits planned for fall quarter.
WHERE YOU CAN FIND CAREER RESOURCES
- iSchool Workshops: Janet Matta, a former iSchool Career Adviser, is facilitating a series of workshops this autumn. Learn more about the workshops on iCareers or the iSchool Event Calendar. For more about Janet, visit www.careerjanet.com/
- Workshop recordings: you can find recordings of past workshops on our Career website as well as other career related resources.
- UW Career and Internship Center :
- Access to Handshake, the UW Job Board
- Workshops, Career Fairs and Other Events
- Individual career advising appointments and drop in hours
- Employer visits beyond the iSchool
- Online workshops and other virtual resources
At present, the iSchool Student Services Office is unable to provide individual career advising appointments or answer individual career questions. Please use the UW Career and Internship Center for these services.
During Fall Quarter, we will start the process of hiring new Career Advising staff. We know this is an important resource for our students. Our goal is to have a full career staff by winter quarter.
iSchool: More info and registration via iCareers
iSchool and Employer Workshops
- Sept 26: Resumes Workshop; 12:30 – 1:20pm, HUB 214
- Oct 4: Behavioral Interviews; 12:30 – 1:20pm, BLD 070
- Oct 4: Deloitte Case Interview Workshop; 2:00 – 3:30pm, HUB 214
Sessions are led by company representatives and will include an overview of the company in addition to the workshop.
- Oct 9: Cover Letters; 12:30 – 1:20pm, HUB 214
iSchool Employers Hangouts and Info Sessions
- Sept 25: PwC iLounge Hangout; 2-4pm, MGH 416
- Oct 2: Accenture Info Session; 5:00 – 6:30pm, MGH 258
- Oct 3: KPMG Info Session; 12:30 – 1:20pm, MGH 258
- Oct 7: West Monroe Partners Info Session; 12:30 – 1:20pm, HUB 332
Info Sessions are formal presentations by the employer.
Hangouts are informal conversations with the employer.
UW Career & Internship Center
- Oct 9: Engineering Hiring Expo; 12 – 4pm, HUB Ballroom
- Oct 10: Business Career Fair; 2 – 6pm, HUB Ballroom
- Oct 17: Start up Career Fair; 3:00 – 5:30pm, Intellectual House
UW Career Workshops and Employer Events
Other Career Events
- Oct 9: Alaska Airlines Day at Foster;
- Oct 10: The Greater Seattle Career Fair; 11am – 2pm, Seattle Center
Note: this fair is not sponsored by the iSchool or the UW
POSITIONS FOR CONSIDERATION
- Technical Internships, Adobe; Handshake
- Privacy, Networking & Security Intern – Firefox (Summer 2020), Mozilla; Handshake
- Junior Full-Stack Mobile Application Developer, NatureCollections; iCareers ID 9483
- Library Archives Intern, Lower Columbia College; iCareers ID 9114
- Library Operations Lead, Echo Services Inc; iCareers ID 9397
Questions or feedback? Contact us at email@example.com | iCareers