Ways to Jump Start or Keep Your Career Search Momentum Over Winter Break
This will be our final Career Newsletter for Autumn quarter. That doesn’t mean you should take a break from your career search! Winter break is actually a great time to focus on your career search without the distraction of your academic studies. Here are some suggestions on how to continue your job/internship/DFW search moving forward.
1. Use the Holidays as an Ice Breaker
Over the next month many of you will be engaging with family, friends and event strangers. Use this to your advantage!
a. Traveling over the break? Conversations are likely to occur with your travel mates. If the opportunity arises, be prepared with a quick intro introducing yourself as a student and the type of career you’re prepping for.
b. Likewise, if you’re attending a social or family gathering, the question “what have you been up to?” is likely to be asked. Have an answer ready that lets them know you are looking for an internship/job and ask them if they are aware of any opportunities.
c. Finally, re-stablish connections with professionals in your intended field to update them on your career plans.
a. Worked on a great project during Autumn quarter? Had a relevant student work experience or part time job? Add it to your resume.
b. Review your LinkedIn summary. Is this still accurate? What new skills, experiences, or knowledge do you have to add? What new connections do you have to add?
3. Work on Networking
a. Schedule some informational interviews or coffee chats
b. Set up a job shadow
4. Take Time to Catch-Up
5. Develop a Job Search Plan for Winter Quarter
a. Create a target list of jobs, companies or employers you want to connect with and do some research on them. Beyond Glassdoor, the UW Library provides a list of resources. Another option is to review job announcements in iCareers or Husky Handshake.
b. Practice/prepare for interviewing
c. Mark your calendar for these Winter quarter iSchool Events:
iSchool: More info and registration via iCareers
- Jan 17: iSchool Research Blitz
- Feb 3: iSchool Career Fair; 12:30 – 2:30pm (iSchool Student only), 2:30 – 4:30pm (all students and alumni welcome), Hub Ballroom
- Feb 7: Library Expo; 12:30 – 2:30pm, Odegaard Library Room 220
UW Career Workshops and Employer Events
- Feb 13: UW-Seattle 2020 Winter Job & Internship Fair; 1pm – 5pm, Hub Ballrooms
Positions for Consideration
- Data Analyst Summer Internship, Cisco Meraki; Handshake
- Software Engineer Intern, DocuSign; Handshake
- Cloud & Infrastructure Consultant, West Monroe Partners; iCareers ID 9965
- Digital Collections Archivist, Virginia Tech; iCareers ID 9958
- Librarian I or II, Children’s Services – Bilingual, Sonoma County Library; iCareers ID 9959
Questions or feedback? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | iCareers