Employment: Research Librarian, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
The Communications and Information Technology Directorate at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is seeking a Research Librarian (Computer Sciences and Data Literacy) to join the IT Services Group located in Richland, WA. This is an extraordinary opportunity to steward and lead strategic direction for the role of research data management [within the publishing lifecycle], research tools and workflows, data sharing. This role will conduct searches of literature; analyze, synthesize, and evaluate data; extract pertinent information; and prepare results/products of material searched via analytical summaries, bibliographic libraries, and bibliometric reports.
As Research Librarian, you will contribute as a member of PNNL’s Scientific Data Management Strategy team and partner with scientists and their development of data management plans. You will be able to acquire and maintain expertise in information trends within research data management, digital curation, data science, and related areas.
The Research Librarian:
- Conducts searches of literature; analyzes, synthesizes, and evaluates data; extracts pertinent information; and prepares results/products of material searched via analytical summaries, bibliographic libraries, and bibliometric reports.
- Demonstrates expert knowledge of content and structure of information resources. Mines text, applies metadata, indexes content, and prepares visualizations of data.
- Manages electronic resources through integrated library systems; enhances access to resources through deployment of websites, link resolvers, federated and meta search tools; applies advanced information delivery tools.
- Implements and trains customers in use of continuously evolving technologies that deliver information to research customers.
- Maintains and improves information retrieval, analyst, and content and data management capabilities. Keeps abreast of developments in areas of interest to the company and regularly consults with researchers and other information users to ensure maximum usefulness and service.
- Creates and maintains a data literacy component within the PubCenter at PNNL, integrating and aligning to the FAIR Data Principles.
- Leads strategic direction for the role of research data management, research tools and workflows, data sharing, and open science in the PubCenter’s stewardship of the Publishing Lifecycle.
- Contributes as a member of PNNL’s Scientific Data Management Strategy team and partners with scientists and their development of data management plans. Acquires and maintains expertise in information trends within research data management, digital curation, data science, and related areas.
- Provides technical library code and development support using vendor APIs to deliver subscribed content to researchers and assisting the Electronic Resources Librarian with code development in the Ex Libris Primo environment.
- Presents significant contributions at regional and national conferences and in peer-reviewed journal venues.
Please be aware that the Department of Energy (DOE) prohibits DOE employees and contractors from participation in certain foreign government talent recruitment programs. If you are offered a position at PNNL and are currently a participant in a foreign government talent recruitment program you will be required to disclose this information before your first day of employment.
- Due to business needs and client space, US Citizenship is required
- The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is subject to the Department of Energy Unclassified Foreign Visits & Assignment Program site, information, technologies, and equipment access requirements.
For more information and to apply, please visit the job posting.