Employment: Collection Management – Tenure Track Librarian, Spokane Community College
Spokane Community College, Library Services seeks qualified candidates for consideration for employment in an annually contracted, tenure track librarian position. The collection management librarian will take the lead in collection development including acquisition, cataloging, access, and evaluation of print and electronic resources. Responsibilities also include managing the SCC Library web presence, overseeing operation of the integrated library system (ILS), and compiling and analyzing usage statistics, and user experience (UX) data in order to ensure that services and programs meet user needs. Public services duties performed by this librarian include information literacy instruction, reference, liaison work, and direct student contact.
This unique opportunity provides the right candidate the opportunity to work with a diverse population (transfer, workforce, adult education, urban, and rural) and grow professionally within a dynamic, student-focused library team and a supportive campus community.
Deadline for Applications: Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. PST on March 30, 2020
Apply and learn more information here: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ccspokane/jobs/2731892/librarian-collection-management-tenure-track
Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops, in cooperation with other librarians and discipline faculty, a collection which supports the needs of the SCC community
- Undertakes systematic and data-informed collection management and analysis
- Assesses collection usage and user satisfaction on a regular basis
- Coordinates the development of collection policies and procedures
- Takes the lead role in cataloging, indexing, and classification of the library collection
- Seeks opportunities to develop professionally in collections management
- Assists the Dean in managing the collection budget, in collaboration with library faculty, staff and administration
- Works closely with members of the CCS Libraries Collection Team to achieve technical and budgetary efficiencies
- Manages licensing agreements for electronic resources and maintains relationships with vendors and consortia
- Takes the lead on utilization of the ALMA integrated library system
- Manages authentication services for remote access to library collections
- Provides reference services and academic support to students in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication
- Uses effective teaching methods to support and enhance student learning using a variety of modalities and materials, including Canvas or similar learning management system
- Communicates expectations and establishes clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, including but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback
- Participates in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position
- Complies with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; follows established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, office support, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative processes
- Supports and advances the CCS strategic plan, and performs other duties as assigned
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise.
- Supervise or direct the work of assigned work-study students.
- Be responsible for ensuring assigned staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
Required Competencies (Minimum Qualifications)
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution
- Previous experience equivalent to one full academic year as a professional librarian
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; ability to work independently and as a member of an effective team
- Experience managing large technology-based projects successfully
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion
Preferred Competencies (Desirable Qualifications)
- Previous experience equivalent to two or more full academic years as a professional librarian
- Previous experience as a collection management librarian
- Previous experience in higher education
- Experience teaching information literacy
- Demonstrated ability to maintain web sites from a UX perspective