Building Skills & Learning Online
One way to keep busy during this indoor and unpredictable season is to continue to build skills and engage in learning. In this newsletter, we will be highlighting some online courses and career resources for you to explore while you’re at home.
Courses & Learning
Maybe you want to supplement your learning this quarter or you would like a refresher on a course you took a year ago. Here are some free online learning resources we discovered for you to consider!
A comprehensive list of 450 Ivy League online courses sorted into 13 categories including Computer Science, Data Science Programming, Art & Design, and Personal Development.
A list of 80 free resources to learn coding if you are just starting out! These include formal courses and tutorials on best practices to develop.
Unity is giving free access to Unity Learn Premium (until June 20), which allows you to access live sessions with Unity Experts and courses for aspiring game developers and creators.
Last month, we compiled a list of online career resources to explore such as the LinkedIn Alumni Search Tool, see the full list on our IOSS blog! Below are some more career resources for you to try out.
Need help practicing for your technical coding interview? SDE Skills hosts Leetcode Practice almost daily with solution discussions on their own Slack group.
It’s challenging to keep track of all the changes happening in the world right now. You can refer to this live crowdsourced employer hiring list when beginning to apply for jobs.
If your internship plans have changed and are still applying, you might consider applying for a remote internship from this curated jobs board created in response to the current situation.
Resume, Cover Letter, LinkedIn Profile, and Portfolio Reviews
Want some feedback on your application materials and professional social media presence? Email your materials or links to firstname.lastname@example.org and one of the career services team members will provide detailed feedback within 3 business days.
Food for Thought
This week we would like to brainstorm ways to manage anxiety in our day-to-day lives in the current vague climate. As the Muse suggests in this article on combating coronavirus anxiety, we have found it helpful to establish a routine for our mostly indoor lives now.
You can also try following a free evening newsletter geared towards staying active and healthy with recommendations for activities and resources every MWF.
Snoopy Pic of the Week!
Snoopy is learning to play fetch!
Huskies@Work is a job shadowing program that connects alumni & students for an opportunity for students to get a glimpse of what a particular career looks like. Applications due by April 12 for students
iSchool: More info and registration via iCareers
The recording from yesterday’s How to Rock an Online Interview workshop is now up!
- April 8th (today!) Finding a Job in Uncertain Times: Small Group Coaching – Zoom; 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- April 15th Technical Interview Prep – Zoom; 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- April 16th How to Network While Social Distancing: Small Group Coaching – Zoom; 4:30 – 5:30 PM
- April 21st LinkedIn Lab – Zoom; 3:30 – 4:30 PM
- April 22nd CampusPoint Information Session–Zoom; 3:00 – 4:00 PM
- April 23rd Finding a Job When You Don’t Feel Qualified: Small Group Coaching – Zoom; 12:30 – 1:30 PM
Positions for Consideration
The Associated Students of the University of Washington boasts close to 70 paid student employees, and this spring is no different. As an Association, we provide an unparalleled experience for students to serve others and collaborate with different parts of the campus community. As employees, students gain real-world experiences and learn the necessary skills to function in a collaborative and professional work environment. All current open positions are listed on Handshake, linked at jobs.asuw.org. If you have any questions, please email Kiran Singh, the Personnel Director for ASUW at email@example.com.
- Data Scientist Internship, Cambia Health Solutions, Handshake (closes April 10th!)
- QE Internship, 8×8, Handshake
- Software Development for Research Campus Operations, National Renewable Energy Laboratory, Handshake
- Associate Solution Engineer, Success Graduate, Salesforce, Handshake
- UX Design Intern, Ruby Seven Studios, iCareers ID 10142
- Teach For America Corps Member, Teach for America, iCareers ID 10561
- Law Library Support Specialist, LAC Group, iCareers ID 10494
- Research Librarian, Computer Sciences and Data Literacy, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, iCareers ID 10108
- Director of Communications, UW Office of Minority Affairs & Diversity, University of Washington, IOSS Blog
Questions or feedback? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | iCareers