Although some companies have pushed pause on recruiting or instituted a hiring freeze, there continue to be many companies in the tech, education, and government sectors who are still hiring. But their interviews have moved online! Check out these tips for how to be successful in your next online interview.
Gather all the details
Make sure you know what the format of the interview looks like and how long it will last. Check the platform being used so you can do some practice run throughs with a friend. Common interviewing platforms include Zoom, HireVue, BlueJeans, and Microsoft Teams.
Create a perfect set-up
Find a quiet space with a strong internet connection. Test your speakers, microphone, and video to ensure everything works properly and you know how to adjust if needed during the interview. Think about visual distractions behind you and the lighting. You may want to consider creating a custom background if your interview will be in Zoom.
Do some practice run throughs
Ask a friend to go through some practice interview questions so you can get comfortable. Remember to look at the camera, rather than the person on the screen. You may want to purchase a headset with a microphone to minimize background noise. If you have roommates, be sure to communicate with them in advance and think about internet use and bandwidth.
Day of interview tips
- Dress as you would for an in person interview
- Close and silence extra applications on your computer, silence your phone, and move it away to minimize distractions
- Have paper, pen, and your resume in front of you
- Start the interview right on time (not early!)
- Come prepared with questions to ask them, including next steps
- Send a thank you email within 24 hours
Food for Thought
This week is all about ways to prepare yourself for the job search process during this challenging time. Forbes suggests a number of strategies to stand out in your job search. The Muse offers some additional strategies for successful phone and online interviews. Finally, check out this Balance Careers article for a comprehensive plan for how to handle a job search during a pandemic.
Snoopy Pic of the Week!
Snoopy is dressed up for his online interview.
iSchool: More info and registration via iCareers
The recording from last week’s How to Rock an Online Interview workshop is now up!
- April 15th Technical Interview Prep – Zoom; 12:30 – 1:30 PM
- April 16th How to Network While Social Distancing: Small Group Coaching – Zoom; 4:30 – 5:30 PM
- April 21st LinkedIn Lab – Zoom; 3:30 – 4:30 PM
- April 22nd CampusPoint Information Session–Zoom; 3:00 – 4:00 PM
- April 23rd Finding a Job When You Don’t Feel Qualified: Small Group Coaching – Zoom; 12:30 – 1:30 PM
Positions for Consideration
- Systems Engineer, Architecture Technology Corporation, Handshake
- Associate Information Systems Officer, United Nations, Handshake
- Web Design Intern, Heali AI, Handshake
- Twitch Prime UX Summer Intern, Amazon, Handshake
- Data Science Fellow – Harvard Law School, Harvard University, iCareers ID 10632
- Metadata Analyst (Assistant Librarian), University of Texas at Austin, iCareers ID 10589
- Teach For America Corps Member, Teach For America (TFA), iCareers ID 10561
- AEA Graduate Education Diversity Internship (GEDI), American Evaluation Association, IOSS Blog
Questions or feedback? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org | iCareers