October is National Campus Sustainability month, and UW Sustainability is organizing the 2017 SustainableUW Festival highlighting sustainability-related events across the University of Washington. The festival is Oct. 23-28, but there are sustainability events happening before and after those dates as well. The SustainableUW Festival includes events hosted by various departments, student groups and other organizations across all UW campuses. The full list of festival events and more information can be found at green.uw.edu/festival – you can also join the festival’s Facebook event.
The showcase festival event is the Sustainability Fair, Wednesday, October 25 at wǝɫǝbʔaltxʷ – Intellectual House from 11 a.m. – 1:30 p.m. This event features dozens of exhibitors – including UW departments, student groups and community partners. This year’s theme is “Student-powered sustainability” and the fair will also include a student poster showcase.
Event page: green.uw.edu/fair
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/137431983664565/
Other featured events this month include the Campus Sustainability Fund brainstorming mixer on October 19; a UW Sustainability open house in our office, Gerberding B40, on Oct. 20 (featuring a food drive and representatives from the UW Campus Food Pantry); a Sustainability Careers Meet & Greet on October 23; and more. The full event calendar is at green.uw.edu/festival/events
The annual SustainableUW Festival celebrates sustainability efforts and leadership across the University of Washington. This year’s festival is Oct 17-23, with events hosted by many different departments, student groups and organizations across the UW.
There are dozens of events happening during the festival. Some of the highlights include:
- The Sustainable Exhibitor Fair on Tuesday, Oct. 18, in the HUB Ballroom. UW programs, student groups, and community partners who put sustainability first will be available to talk about their work and how you can get involved. Enjoy entertainment from several arts groups on the Cultural Sustainability Stage during the event.
- Huskies for Humanity, “Changing Global Health Ecosystems: Humans, Animals, and the Environment” on Monday, Oct. 17. An interactive panel discussion where presenters will address the interactions between humans, animals, and the environment, and the impact on health.
- UW’s Salmon Safe Certification celebration and award ceremony on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Sustainability Careers Meet & Greet, connecting students with representatives from the business, non-profit, government and education sectors, on Wednesday, Oct. 19.
- Husky Highlight, featuring UW Environmental Innovation Challenge winner Jiko Power on Thursday, Oct. 20.
- UW Sustainability open house on Friday, Oct. 21. Stop by UW Sustainability’s office in Gerberding Hall, room B40, to learn more about the sustainability resources we have to offer.
In addition, you can attend screenings of documentaries on climate change and food waste; volunteer with the native plant nursery or to create native pollinator habitat on campus; take a tour of the UW Botanic Garden’s green buildings and gardens; and much more. For full information on all the events happening throughout the festival, visit green.uw.edu/festival/events.